Monday, January 16, 2012

it's the little things...

I think one of the greatest things about getting to take some time off is that I get to do little things like pack a lunch for the boyfriend some days.  Though it may sound house-wifey, anti-feminism, and whatever else demeaning to women you might think of, there's just something satisfying about getting to do something as simple as making a sandwich for someone you care about.  I know I am doing something for him that probably only his mother has done for him before, and that makes me happy.  There's a certain intimacy to lunch-packing, because you have to know what the person likes and dislikes, and even how they like their sandwich cut (diagonal all the way, obvi).  There's a kind of trust and caring that I find very sweet.

I think at the core, for me at least, I always wanted to be a doctor so I could take care of people.  The lunch-packing routine is just one small way I can feel important, at least to one person in the world.  So even though I might be reading a little too much into the mundane task of making a sandwich, I don't care.  If thinking of it this way makes me want to help him out, I will gladly keep on considering the act of packing a lunch as a sacred ritual that only few will share.

No comments:

Post a Comment