Monday, February 20, 2012

minor interlude

So to make up for my long absence, I'd like to do a funnier post today, the topic being the similarities and differences between the midwest and LA.  Since I've been in LA for about 8 months now (whaaaaaaaaaat?) I feel like I have had a decent amount of first-person experience with which to back my statements up.  But these will, of course, be wildly broad generalizations, so take them as you will.

Similarity:
In both places, people will compliment you on your outfit.

Difference:
In LA, people want to know EXACTLY where you bought it/who the designer is.  (My favorite thing is telling people when I got things at Forever 21.  I can see them inwardly questioning their fashion sense that they actually got tricked by the evil affordability of XXI Forever.) Same for makeup: I have extended conversations about OPI nail polish while working at Banana Republic sometimes.

Similarity:
Everyone thinks they are fantastic drivers but actually all SUCK.

Difference:
In the midwest, "driving time" is roughly analogous to actual distance traveled.  For instance, a Wisconsinite will tell you it takes an hour to get somewhere if it is 60 miles away.  In LA, especially during rush hour, "driving time" and actual distance traveled are nowhere near being close.  It can take up to 60 minutes to go 3 miles in the worst traffic.

Similarity: Everyone loves complaining about the weather.

Difference: In Wisconsin/Chicago, people will complain when 1. There is no snow on the ground in December when it's supposed to be "pretty," 2. There IS snow on the ground in March, 3. It's so cold you can't feel your fingers/nose/toes/*insert arguably necessary extremity here*, or 4. When it's humid and 90 degrees in the summer.  In LA, people will complain when it rains for 5 minutes or if the temperature dips below 60.  In both cases, Los Angelenos apparently believe a puffer jacket to be appropriate attire.

Similarity: Women in rich suburbs, whether it be any Northshore Chicago 'burb or Brentwood in Los Angeles, believe yoga pants to be God's gift to butts.  They can be found in any situation at any time of day or night, and I can guarantee 90% of the butts occupying said yoga pants are neither going to nor coming from yoga class.

Difference: On my Northwestern Memorial Hospital volunteer ID badge, my picture is weirdly stretched so my face looks fat.  On my UCLA Health System ID badge, my face is weirdly stretched so I look skinnier than I am.

Similarity: I've always kept up with and enjoyed watching awards shows on TV, like the Grammys and Oscars.

Difference: Here, not only can I watch the awards shows, but I feel a special bond with them, as they mess up my commute because of the traffic heading to the venues.

Ok that was just a sample, I'll try to add more as I think of them.  I'm a big fan of pros and cons, so looking at these two lifestyles head to head was a lot of fun!  I hope you enjoyed if you got this far, and have a good week!

2 comments:

  1. BAHAHAAA! You have to love the Midwest and LA
    btw, in the first sentence I read that LA as you...so I was a bit confused :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha LA doesn't ALWAYS mean LeslieAnn... although I imagine that it does whenever people mention it (which is basically every day now, lol.)

    ReplyDelete