Sunday, January 1, 2012

happy new year.

For the beginning of 2012, I have decided to indulge in one of the most cliche of activities and start a blog.  


Real original, I know.  


But what it lacks in originality, I think it makes up for in both necessity and agency, for myself at least.  At Northwestern, the thing I dreaded most (something I believe many premeds and once-premeds experience) was graduating with an undergraduate degree without an immediate med school acceptance waiting for them.  I thought it meant I wasn't good enough, or didn't have "what it takes" to get to med school.  


But after just a few months out of school, I realize that the experiences I have already had, from moving to a completely new place to doing the dreaded job hunt, have added immeasurably to my life experience and my maturity.  It has also allowed me to indulge a few of my hobbies and (some might say) obsessions.   


So that's what this blog is going to be for.  To allow me to wax poetic about the joys of OPI nail polish, Urban Decay's eyeshadow palettes, cooking and baking, the Packers and the 'Cats, and whatever else in my life merits a mention that day.  This is not going to be a focused chronicle of just one part of my life-- I feel like my life has too many facets for me to ignore any of them.  So on any given day I might seem like a complete makeup fiend, but the next you might find me excited about the latest scientific or (more likely) medical innovation.


But that's the point.


This year, my "Time Off," as I have so creatively decided to call this little endeavor of mine, is the time for me to be able to let all my interests grow and develop.  I feel I cannot adequately devote my life to helping others if I do not even have an accurate sense of who I am, what I want, and how I want to live.


If nothing else, the premed in me knows that this will allow me to look back on this year and write a good personal statement.  But the "real person" in me knows that this is something I need to do for me, not some medical school board of admissions.


I may update every day, or it may be every other week.  Either way, allow me to express my thoughts and keep this little online stream of consciousness of mine going.

No comments:

Post a Comment