Wednesday, January 11, 2012

life is busy!


I got to interview prospective students for admission into Northwestern on Sunday.  It was such a surreal feeling.  If I were still in school, even med school, I would not have felt like I was allowed to do something like that.  It was a strange but great feeling getting to walk up the stairs to the alumni meeting room and actually realize that yes, I am a part of this community.  It's a pretty cool feeling that I feel like that about a place that is 2,000 miles away.


I have been away for a while because my schedule got super busy all of a sudden!  I also had my first Kaplan class on Tuesday, which wasn't terrible but could have been better.  I can definitely work on actually saying what I mean the first time a lot more, because my students had a lot of questions!  Good thing I get to put that into practice with my class tomorrow...


I am having kind of a funny time teaching, actually, because I am also taking a Genetics class at the UCLA Extension, so I am either a student or a teacher, depending on the night.  I think I always took for granted the fact that my professors should just be great public speakers and should always be on their A game, but now that I have to teach as well I kind of admire how professors are correct so much of the time.  It's actually really impressive, especially when they have to lecture to a room of 100+ students.  Part of me wants to take notes on his teaching style as well as the science he is actually teaching us, haha.


And to cap off my busy busy week, I am getting to take some computer training classes for the UCLA job... not the most glamorous, but it has to be done, I suppose, especially since I'll be doing administrative stuff.


Oh and of course I'm still doing Banana Republic.  It's getting a lot harder to be polite and nice to people the more stuff I'm doing (aka the more tired I get).  But I suppose it's good practice for the future... just because you're tired doesn't give you the right to be an a-hole, right?  In college people kind of let things like that go, but in the real world being just a little rude to a customer (even if they were being a thousand times MORE rude to you) will only result in trouble.  So as hard as it is, when customers are really annoying me I just put on my extra-fake-polite tone: about an octave higher than my usual voice, and way more "pleases" and "thank yous" and "have a great day!" than necessary.  I don't think anyone's caught on yet that that's what it means, so it's working for now.


Ok time to keep doing some work... I just knew that if I didn't get another entry soon my sisters would be on my case, as apparently this blog is my father's new obsession.  I'll try to keep it updated more, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment