Monday, February 27, 2012

post-quiz puppy!

I love professors sometimes.


Following my Genetics quiz tonight, I was delighted to see an extremely excited (though pleasantly chunky) yellow lab running down the stairs ahead of me to exit the building.  Sadly for me, I soon spotted the dog in question's owner; clearly a UCLA professor.  It's always my secret hope that I will "have to" adopt any four-legged friend that comes my way. 


"Oh, is this your dog?" I asked, always ready to engage a dog owner in conversation.  One never knows if those few extra seconds provided by talking to the owner will result in an extra behind-the-ear scratch.  Yes, you guessed it, I only talked to the owner to increase my dog-petting chances.  I never regret my strategy. 


"Well, he's not a student!" replied the professor good-naturedly.  


To put this in context, I love love LOVE witty professors.  They have to deal with sarcastic, obnoxious students all day anyway, so when they can dish it out as well it offers me endless amusement.


"Haha," I laughed, "He's probably smarter than most students though!"


I thought I was being sooo clever, engaging in his banter while still trying to corner the energetic pooch.  But he wasn't out of snide comments yet.


"He's probably smarter than most professors!"


Yes sir, you are right.  He probably is.  I tip my hat to you that you are willing to say that, not only on your college campus, but also presumably while you leave your classroom and talk to a student.  His pure disrespect for his fellow educators was so hilarious to me that I actually had no response other than to laugh and watch (somewhat sadly) as the yellow lab's rapidly-wagging tail whipped out of petting range.


So in the end, my "talk to dog owners" strategy, though usually just a selfish ploy to be able to play with the dog, actually resulted in the most entertaining conversation I'd had today.  This is definitely the universe's way of telling me that, no matter whether or not I make contact with the furry object of my pursuit, my habit of talking to dog owners is beneficial to my happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment